Court of Protection

If you were to lose the capacity to make decisions for yourself and did not have a Lasting Power of Attorney in place, an application would have to be made to the Court of Protection to give someone the necessary authority to make decisions on your behalf.  This process is known as applying for a deputyship order.

In many cases it is close relatives or friends who are appointed deputies, although a trained professional, such as a solicitor, or even a local authority may also take on the role.

At Hethertons Solicitors, we can help you apply for deputyship and advise you on the rights and responsibilities attached to the position.

Our solicitors can also act as a deputy when required, liaising closely with family members, carers and other parties to ensure we fulfil our obligation to act in the best interests of the person who lacks capacity.

Hethertons would advise that someone who still has mental capacity should consider making a Lasting Power of Attorney. This is a cheaper and quicker process and avoids the need of having to seek a deputyship order at a future stage.

We have considerable experience advising older clients and Barbara Stephens, who heads up our Later Life Services, is a member of Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE).

For more information please call Barbara Stephens on 01904 528221 or email:

The Team

Barbara Stephens

Senior Associate Solicitor and Consultant

Related Services


Contact us

Complete the below form and a member of our team will get back to you

If you would like to see full details of our data practices please visit our Privacy Policy and if you have any questions please email