Probate is the process of proving that a Will is valid and that the executors are the persons entitled to deal with the assets of the deceased.
Hethertons Solicitors offer sound, professional advice on all aspects of probate and the administration of estates.
A grant of probate is required where the deceased had assets of over £5,000. If the deceased died without leaving a Will (intestate), a similar document, known as a ‘Grant of letters of administration’ will usually be needed.
Our team can help you:
- Identify the assets and liabilities of the estate
- Obtain valuations of assets
- Notify the beneficiaries named in the Will/on intestacy
- Complete the income tax return to the date of death
- Calculate whether any Inheritance Tax (IHT) is due from the estate
- Complete the application for the grant and submit it to the Probate Registry
- Register the grant and collect the money owed to the estate
- Pay any outstanding liabilities
- Pay any legacies
- Distribute the estate in accordance with the terms of the Will or on intestacy
- Prepare estate accounts
At Hethertons we have considerable experience advising older clients and Barbara Stephens, who heads up our Later Life Services, is a member of Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE).
For more information please call Barbara Stephens on 01904 528200 or email: email@example.com.