The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) are a new set of legal requirements governing the handling and storage of personal data. They come into effect on 25 May 2018 and affect all EU countries, replacing the UK’s existing Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA).
If the UK is leaving the EU in 2019, can’t I just ignore GDPR?
No. Even after the UK leaves the EU in 2019, GDPR will continue to apply and you will still have to meet its legal requirements.
The new GDPR rules are far-reaching so it’s best to seek expert legal advice on how exactly it will affect your particular business.
GDPR will significantly affect the way you can collect data. It will provide new rights for your employees and customers and place new obligations on how you use their data.
In a nutshell, that means:
- You will have to be able to demonstrate that you meet your obligations under the GDPR
- You need to know which of the six ‘lawful basis’ allows you to use the data
- Records need to be kept up to date, must not contain personal information that is not strictly necessary and must not be stored for longer than is required for the specified purpose
- Individuals will have a ‘right to be forgotten’ – meaning that you may have to remove their data permanently on request
- You must provide a Privacy Notice within strict deadlines
- Any breaches must be reported promptly and without delay
What do I need to do?
You need to make sure your business is compliant with the new rules by 25 May 2018. A failure to do so could be very costly as the maximum fine for a breach of GDPR can be up to 20 million Euros or four per cent of your annual turnover.
How we can help
We are offering a range of fixed price packages to help you prepare for GDPR
Our GDPR Essentials Package includes:
- Audit Spreadsheet
- Privacy Notice template
- Article 30 Record template
- One hour telephone/email assistance on GDPR preparation
The Essentials package is priced at £399 + VAT
Need a little more help?
If you would like a more comprehensive package and a greater level of input from us, the GDPR Plus Package will be the one for you.
Our GDPR Plus Package includes:
- Audit Spreadsheets
- Two Privacy Notice templates – one for employees, one for consumers
- Implementation Checklists
- Article 30 Record template
- Data Protection Policy
- Two hours telephone/email assistance on GDPR preparation
The GDPR Plus Package is £699 + VAT.
For a bespoke package tailored to the needs of your business, contact us for an initial free discussion and a quote.
Fines for failing to comply with GDPR can be significant, with the most serious data breaches resulting in penalties of up to €20 million or four per cent of annual turnover. Give us a call today to protect your business.
To find out more about our wide range of GDPR compliance services, please contact us.
Take our free GDPR quiz to test your knowledge today.