The Home Office has announced a series of measures to support men and boys who are victims of domestic abuse, including grants of up to £1 million.
According to official figures, 695,000 males suffered domestic abuse last year, with 138,000 of those sexually assaulted.
The announcement on the measures comes as the Home Office publishes its first cross-Government position statement focused on male victims of crimes, setting out a list of 12 commitments to assist male victims and survivors in receiving support, encourage more people to come forward seeking help and bring perpetrators to justice.
Amongst the measures, Ministers have pledged to give £24million over the next three years for services providing advice and counselling to all victims of sexual violence, including men and boys.
They will also donate £500,000 to specialist support groups and awarding £500,000 to a specialist LGBT domestic abuse organisation that supports victims and survivors.
Research from Male Survivors Partnership has found that some men can take over 31 years to disclose their ordeals, partly due to attitudes around masculinity.
Victoria Atkins – the minister for crime, safeguarding and vulnerability – said: “Men can, and do, suffer from crimes such as domestic and sexual abuse.
“It is a horrendous experience that often goes unrecognised and it is heart-breaking that some men feel they cannot report their experiences because of societal views around masculinity.
“As a Government, we are determined to bring these horrific crimes to light and support victims and survivors, regardless of gender.”
The new measures are in addition to commitments made to all victims of gender-based violence as part of the violence against women and girls strategy published on Wednesday.
Duncan Craig, the CEO of Survivors Manchester, said he was pleased to see the government’s position statement on boys and men affected by crimes classed as violence against women and girls.
He said: “As a professional working with male survivors of sexual violence and a survivor myself, this statement sends a clear message to boys and men that the Government sees you and they are taking what happened to you seriously.”